Monday, March 10, 2014

"...as we tarry there": A Cycle of Love


“And He walks with me and He talks with me, and He tells me I am His own. And the joy we share as we tarry there, none other has ever known.”



More than ever before, I am enjoying spending time with the Love of my life.  My heart is so full, yet my greatest satisfaction comes from being poured out. How can I describe this eternal cycle of love? While I feel overwhelmed with compassion for the broken, I know that this love is only an overflow of the eternal replenishment that He supplies. Being a part of this ceaseless fountain, with its physically eroding and spiritually purifying effects, is providing deep fulfillment while simultaneously evoking a seemingly unquenchable thirst for more Love, more Power, more Him. Ironically, (though some will scorn my romanticizing or debasing this holy communion) rather that meeting Him “…in the garden alone, while the dew is still on the roses,” I have “…found love in a hopeless place.” But then again, I guess that’s where those who are lost find him…


The last two weeks have been intense and beautiful.  The week before last I was presented with many weighty issues via counseling sessions, the responses to which required incredible discretion and divine wisdom. Tuesday was particularly full of tumultuous meetings. In the midst of these intense situations, I was scheduled to teach three Bible classes. Knowing my inability to smoothly transition from heart-throbbing counseling sessions to teaching a class for of second graders about John the Baptist, I began class by turning on some worship music and asking the kids to just pray for a good 10 minutes. The classtime that resulted was so glorious that I decided to repeat the worship/prayer introduction for the 5th grade class.  As we concluded our prayer time, I felt a great urge to reject my lesson plan and jump into the great abyss of “off-script.”  I shared with them some thoughts from John 3 in which Jesus says that condemnation is felt only by individuals who refuse to step into the light for fear that their evil deeds be exposed. After addressing the issue of hidden sin and the need for our hearts to be cleansed, I simply told the kids that anyone who wanted to talk more should stay after class. To my surprise, six kids remained after dismissal. All were burdened by felt sin and wanted Jesus to help them to live as He did. I talked with each of them individually and each asked Jesus to take control of their lives.  It was beautiful. The next Bible class that I had with the class allowed opportunity for follow-up with those students. In a week’s time, God had confirmed to each of them in different ways that they had chosen aright. God is faithful.

Outside of school, God continues to bless my socks off through the precious folks at Jesus Kids.  Yesterday morning, upon entering, I was attacked with hugs by Lara (a teenager with Down Syndrome), who acted as if we were her long-lost sisters. When we began singing, Damola (a 10-year-old boy with Autism), who is essentially non-verbal, started singing with amazing clarity, “I’m trading my sorrows…for the joy of the Lord.” As I looked around, I saw such expressions of joy on every face that made my heart want to burst.  So, my housemates and I have been talking.  The matron at the orphanage (a godly woman who radiates the love of Christ and maintains standards of excellence in all things) has mentioned to us several of the financial needs that they face: weekly physical and speech therapy, needed surgeries, equipment for new Autism Center, monthly rent, Special Ed. school fees, and basic daily needs. With no steady income, the matron is forced to totally rely upon God to meet these needs, which she does with a joyful spirit. She receives donations from some churches, some organizations, and some individuals, but is not able to proceed with life-changing surgeries until more donations come in.
 My housemates and I have decided to get the word out to our various circles back home, in case anyone is interested in offering financial assistance to meet these immense needs.  The Jesus Kids staff has the long-term goal of building their own establishment instead of cramming into the small rented building which currently houses them. We would love to put them on the road to achieving these dreams. My parents have offered to collect donations from anyone who is compelled to reach out.  While it’s true that many Nigerian organizations conduct shady financial interactions, the presence of God’s spirit in this place allows me to easily vouch for them. They are continuing Jesus’s mission on earth. If you’re interested in helping out, feel free to contact me (lucylaplue@gmail.com), or one of my parents (larrylaplue@gmail.com; dlaplue@juno.com). You can check out their website, (http://jesuskidsng.org/); we’re also hoping to offer some suggestions for their website as it's quality is not top-notch, but we’ll see. Thanks for prayerfully considering these needs!


No comments:

Post a Comment