Thursday, February 6, 2014

Life-Scenes


            With the millions of mosquitoes flying around in our house, school, and compound, it’s a wonder we’re not ALL dead from malaria. It’s tricky at night because the dimness of our living room lights allows the perfect opportunity for the accursed insects to swarm and attack unaware innocents life myself. If I feel a hair on my arm move, I can be sure that a pint of blood has already been sucked.  Last week, when two of my housemates fell ill with some unknown diseases, my paranoia increased tenfold. Because of my apparent proclivity to Nigerian sickness, I am devoting myself wholeheartedly to the task of attacking any sign of encroaching disease. Plenty of vitamins and herbs, pro-biotics, nutritious juices, olive leaf extract, mouthwash, and exercise seem to be doing the trick so far. And prayer. Come to think of it, it’s probably primarily that last one.

            As a child at Grandma’s house, I remember reading The Man Who Didn’t Wash His Dishes and learning that putting-off tasks produces a daunting pile-up for the future. Apparently I didn’t learn to cross-apply that lesson to updating my blog. So now I have the charge of recollecting and summarizing scene changes from the last two months of my life.

             Scene 1: Christmas Break
             The opportunity to visit my sister, Jessie in Jordan and tour throughout Israel proved an incredible experience. From Jordan’s ancient rock city, Petra, to the deserts of Wadi Rum to the Old City of Jerusalem to the Dead Sea, my housemates Meghan and Gretchen, along with Jessie and me, had a spectacular time of it.


Bethlehem on Christmas Eve was as expected—super busy. We found incredible contrast between the commercialized bustle of the places where Jesus was man-handled (Bethlehem, Nazareth, and Golgatha) and the serenity of the places where his Word was received (Mount of Beatitudes, around Galilee). (pause for audience consideration)  I left Israel evermore appreciating the patience that God has with all these confused, obstinate, inharmonious people inhabiting His creation. Upon returning to Jordan with Jessie for a week, I gained a far greater appreciation for the work that she is doing there. Let’s just say, as far as weather, relational support, and cultural differences, I have it super EASY compared to her (in my opinion at least). My understanding regarding the spread of the Gospel in different contexts (i.e. in a predominantly Muslim culture) was challenged and stretched. Perhaps some of the subconsciously assumed parameters that I’ve been putting around the Great Commission are beginning to be erased.  
            Nigerians who return from a trip to Jerusalem often legally add “J.P.” (Jerusalem Pilgrimage) to their name, thus forever altering their identity.  Though I will not be signing my name Lee Anne LaPlue J.P.I do hope that the trip proves a significant part of the eternal transformation of my heart and renewal of my mind that God is orchestrating.

            Scene 2: On the Clock
            School continues to provide plenty of fun and plenty of challenges.  We’ve just transitioned into our second semester, allowing the opportunity for new ideas and goals to be birthed. Probably my favorite school activity of the past few weeks—perhaps of my entire time here—was a Saturday “Book Club” that I scheduled for some of my more interested and engaged 8th grade literature students. Though purposed to wrap-up some deep discussions started in class, this “book club” turned into two hours of serious soul searching.  Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde provides a wonderful framework in which to discuss the battle between good and evil that rages within each of us. The resulting conversation, which inevitably led to a recognition of man’s depravity and need for a savior, was more powerful than many Bible studies that I’ve attended. At one point one student interrupted a moment of silence following some meaty discourse with, “Whoa. That was the deepest 12 minutes of my life.” So, that was fun. I’m hopeful that such discussions ushered my students to a spiritual depth that causes them to wonder at the meaning of life until they find the end of their wanderings.

Scene 3: Counseling
            While this is more a behind-the-scene situation, it is one in which I would greatly appreciate audience participation (i.e. prayer). As an untrained counselor, I am facing student issues resulting from serious parental and peer abuse (physical, sexual, emotional, etc.), scars from bullying, sexual identity questions, depression, and critical apathy. Though the problems are severe, I am placing my hope in the Redeemer who knows how to create beauty out of ashes. My greatest desire is that my students would embrace a similar hope. In fact, I am currently passionately praying for several students (some whom I am not currently counseling), that they might experience a beautiful transformation by coming to accept the grace and love of our Lord Jesus Christ. If you want some specific things/people to pray for, shoot me a quick e-mail (lucylaplue@gmail.com).

Scene 4: Sunday Morning
Last year about half-a-dozen of us started meeting together in school on Sunday mornings for a time of worship. The group, which has doubled is size now, really enjoys the opportunity to fix our eyes on Jesus and offer Him praise as an outflow of our love. Another great joy that we have been privileged to experience on Sunday mornings has been through our pre-praising routine. I mentioned in my last blog post about the motherless babies home that we had been visiting. While our hearts are still with the infants, and we do plan on visiting sporadically, we have taken on another Sunday-morning service venture. 
Jesus Kids is an orphanage primarily for kids with disabilities (though some of them have parents who can’t take care of them). Singing with and watching these kids-many blind, some with cerebral palsy, some with Downs Syndrome-- dance brings my spirit to life. Helping these little ones play with playdough, I am totally in my element and am reminded again of my dreams of long-term international disability ministry. We plan to regularly conduct a little Sunday School for the kids who are unable to leave the compound. Basically, the Sunday morning scene is awesome: first, spend some time serving Jesus and experiencing His joy at Jesus Kids, then come praise and thank Him for such blessings.

Scene 5: The Future
            This scene is a bit blurry; the fog machine is going crazy. I have a few applications out for some Occupational Therapy Doctorate programs that begin next fall. The unknown variables are pretty intense though: will I get accepted despite my incomplete pre-requisites? will I get an assistantship or significant scholarships? if not, how the heck will I pay for school? if grad school doesn’t work out, then what? more teaching? …and the questions go on. I’m pretty confident that my time in Nigeria is coming to a close, but beyond that, things are quite mysterious. The good news is that the director of this scene knows exactly what’s going on now, what’s coming next, and how it all ends. And, something tells me that the fog machines aren’t broken. All part of the plan.

So, I’ve now taken care of my dishes. Hopefully I won’t let them pile up so much in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment