Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Life to the Fullest


“I have come that they might have life, and have it in abundance.” –John 10:10

John 10:10 has long been a guiding theme verse for my life. Ever since my Upward basketball coach (a.k.a. Dad) annually emphasized the point that God wanted us to have fun in life, I’ve joyfully expected and often tasted this abundant life. I frequently mention the verse in my Bible classes and counseling session here at ACA, saying that God wants us to experience all fullness of life. Such a full, joyous, exciting, abundant life holds great appeal for me.  There may, however, be just one little problem. Perhaps I accidently associate this great gift of abundance with fullness of schedule. The issue arises when my fullness of schedule actually inhibits me from living the spirit-filled life that Jesus just might actually have been referring to—that is, a life that manifests love, joy, peace, patience, etc. That third one is the kicker. Too often my aspirations towards a full routine of good works reap stressful situations that inhibit my enjoyment and display of Christ’s love, joy, and peace. Such is my recent—though not new—struggle (some things don’t change no matter where you are). And such is the reason for my sparse communication. Despite my sometimes-convoluted understanding of God’s plan for my life, his grace is such that He continues to show me his glory.

The felt weight of teaching responsibilities, burdensome counseling endeavors, strenuous online course work, and attempted preparations for graduate school may have contributed to my recent encounter with malaria. It was a doozie—probably the worst, most prolonged case that I’ve had yet. Being in bed for over a week, and without strength for two more after that, really set me back in terms of my outside-of-ACA responsibilities. The resulting fatigue and accumulated work load certainly awakens me to my desperation for supernatural strength and grace. And indeed, my Father is showing himself faithful. Each morning that I wake up with a healthy body, each evening that I feel a renewed vigor to press-on gives me reason to thank and praise God.

Meanwhile, God continues his work on a Kingdom masterpiece around me (though his inclusion of my dirty rags is a befuddlement). As a staff at the American Christian Academy, we continue to pray for and expect a revival within our community of students, teachers, and parents. There are signs that such a revival may be beginning.
Last Monday, my principal called the staff to fast and pray for the mission of our school to be accomplished (that is, that hearts turn to Christ for salvation). The following day’s classes for me proceeded normally, until last period. In the middle of my 8th grade spelling class, I was writing on the white-board when I sensed someone at my side in the front of the class. I turned to see one of my quietest Hindu students, who then mumbled something incomprehensible. I asked his to repeat is because I thought I heard the word “religion” within his mumblings. “Never mind,” he replied, and returned to his seat. I kept pressing him to tell me what he had said, and finally he said, “I’ve decided to change religions.”  And I thought, “In spelling class?” I quickly arranged to meet with him after class, during which time he explained that he didn’t know why, but he didn’t believe in Hindu gods anymore. When I asked what he did believe in, he said, “Jesus Christ.” Well, that was good enough for me. I asked when he had decided he wanted to become a Christian. “Yesterday” was the reply. Why? “I don’t really know.” But I do. Yesterday we had asked, and now God was giving us the nations. As he knew neither what it meant to be a Christian, nor how to begin the journey—but wanted to—I led the student in prayerfully opening the door of his heart at which Jesus had been knocking. It was beautiful. Such an experience, to me, is the epitome of enjoying abundant life. Since that day, I’ve learned that another student has surrendered his life to Christ. The two boys began today meeting with one of our pastor-teachers for discipleship. It’s thrilling.



I should note another series of experiences that I’ve had since last writing. About a month ago, several of us in the compound decided to go to a home for motherless babies in hopes of providing what we perceived these babies needed most – to be held and loved. The orphanage that entered was supposedly one of the nicest ones around, somehow associated with the University Hospital. At the home, we found about 30 babies through the age of two who were being “provided for” in a somewhat primitive, but thankfully clean open room. We’ve been devastated to find that the matron at the orphanage disallows people to hold the babies because she wants them to be independent (WHAT?!?). She says her work there is “spiritual, not sentimental” and doesn’t mind yelling at, yanking, and beating the babies. The babies are prevented from sucking anything—including their hands which have socks tied around them. Their diapers are changed every four hours, regardless of when they are wet or stinky. 
Though the matron has yelled at us and yanked infants out of our arms when we tried to hold them, we’ve sneaked into the place on Sunday mornings when she’s at church to do the forbidden deed. When picking up the children, they become alive, though their bodies are often stiff from sitting for hours on the concrete floor. Their smiles and giggles have touched our hearts. Unfortunately, the whole thing is a huge dilemma for us that requires God’s wisdom. On the one hand, we want to be the hands and feet of Christ who said, “Let the little children come to me,” and held them in his arms. On the other hand, it feels wrong to reject the wishes of the owner/manager of the home who thinks she’s doing what’s best for the babies. So, if you want to join us in praying for wisdom in how to proceed, I would appreciate it.


On a lighter note, I love the holidays, despite the heat. We had a lovely international Thanksgiving dinner last week with South Africans, Nigerians, Lebanese, Indians, Canadians, and Americans. The lack of turkey didn’t hinder us from pausing to offer thanks to the Giver of so many blessings.





I’m looking forward to my Christmas holiday as well. No, I’m not coming back to American this time, but I will be with family. Gretchen, Meghan, and I plan to leave Dec. 17th for Jordan where we will meet my sister, Jessie for a week. Then, the four of us will head over to Israel for Christmas week where we will celebrate the birth of Christ is His hometown. Then, one more week Jordan-side with Jessie before returning for my last six-months of teaching in Ibadan.
And that’s the update, folks. I’m sure you’ll agree that my life is full, but would you pray that it continues to be filled to overflowing with the fruit that only the Spirit of God can produce within? 

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad we publicly confessed we do too much. By we I mean you. But I'll be praying you have strength to live an abundant life :)

    I love the spelling class story! Praise God.

    Also I will pray for wisdom, but my vote is for holding the babies. Apparently babies who don't get held end up with all sorts of problems. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/born-love/201003/touching-empathy

    I love you!

    ReplyDelete