Sunday, September 4, 2011

Beginning to Digest...


“I’m sure that’s not a bug in my noodles.” Well, maybe just one small one. Good fiber.  Don’t worry, I don’t think bugs for lunch will be the norm here. But food has been the slightest struggle the first few days. Nigerian food, which I will probably be served for most lunches, will take some getting used to, for my taste buds and digestive track. Hopefully going to bed hungry (as I did last night) won’t be the norm, either. Tomorrow’s trip to the market should take care of that.
The last few days have given me a lot to digest, though little of it has been food. Acclimating to this culture is definitely going to involve a good deal of time, and probably discomfort. I arrived Thursday night after a long drive from the Lagos airport. Luckily the threats of being held (in jail?) until I could prove that I had the Yellow Fever Vaccine were not carried into fruition. Overall, though, I find myself privileged to many conveniences here in Ibadan. The compound which holds the school and ten inhabitants is quite nice. I’ve situated myself in a nice large room in the American House which has several A/C units (yay!), electricity, internet, and running water – though all of those things go out quite frequently. Last two “showers” have ended abruptly with the normal small trickle becoming a zero trickle.
Everyone living in the compound has finally arrived, and provide very nice company. Besides the four single Americans in the “American House,” there are two young teacher couples and then Karen and Equi Nwulu (the founders of the school). Interesting-- each couple is composed of an American (Canada/USA) wife and a Nigerian husband.  The school has probably about 30 teachers of several different nationalities (Nigerian, Ghanaian, Indian, etc.). All have been very welcoming to us new American teachers: “You are welcome!” I am working in the 2-3 yr. old class with a Ms. Vic who is Ghanaian and very kind. It should be a joy working with her.  I am so grateful for the warm welcome and strong Christian support that surrounds me.
This morning’s church adventure deserves some attention. We went with Newton and Leah (one of the couples here in the compound) to Charris International Christian Church. It was quite an experience – lots of intense singing and dancing, and then the SERMON. And buddy, what a sermon. The most noteworthy part was at the beginning when the pastor began saying something about PMS. Now, being that I struggles to understand some of his English, I thought surely I was mishearing or misunderstanding. But no, he was definitely speaking about PMS – Pre-Menstrual Syndrome. He proceeded to spend about ten minutes giving ten symptoms for men to be aware of when their wives are undergoing PMS. Thank you, Pastor, for that very helpful information. J
So, school starts this week. New Student Orientation tomorrow, then all student beginning on Tuesday. I’m still unsure which club I’ll be leading, but I’m definitely doing Pre-school and Elementary bible every day.
I realize most of this post is surface level without much analysis or thoughts on the experience. That’s because I have yet to process much at all. Once I digest a little more, I’ll be sure and let you know.

1 comment:

  1. The American women have Nigerian husbands? Is that typically to be expected? :)

    ReplyDelete