Thursday, September 8, 2011

Getting Settled


Gretchen with our PB
In the past, when I’ve asked someone “Do you want creamy or crunchy peanut butter?” the response has never been, “Whenever your arm gets tired is fine.” But that’s how things go in Nigeria, I guess. It seems we’re finally figuring out food here in the American House. We went to the market on Monday and bought some “staples” like  fresh bread and a bottle of peanuts – which we immediately  made into peanut butter by pounding it by hand. We were thrilled though to have something somewhat familiar. 
The market trip was quite the experience. While in the states, a trip to the store to get 20 ingredients is simple and quick, here, we were required to make three stops, walk probably a mile through stands of produce, fresh meat (with flies and gross smells surrounding it), and bread in order to find our chosen items. But, I have not gone to bed hungry in several days now, so I’m a happy camper.  

There’s definitely a lot of poverty around here and everything is very dirty. Traffic is totally chaotic – similar to any third world nations I reckon.  I’m allowed to get my license and drive a school car, but I’m not sure I’m going to work up the nerve to do so. But getting out of the compound is good. It’s kind of crazy, because inside we are sitting pretty comfortably and safe in a little bubble while just outside there is chaos and poverty. Many of the students that we teach live in similar bubble-like compounds. The few inconveniences that I’ve experience here are really NOTHING to complain about when compared to most of my surrounding “community.” I've seen a couple people with disabilities similar to those we served in Ghana -- crawling or making do with whatever form of mobility they could find. That's really hard for me to see, especially now when there's seemingly nothing I can do about it.

School started on Tuesday. I have 12 little 2-3 year olds, most of which are adorable…at times. Two of the little guys screamed and cried for literally the whole first two days. Today was better in that regard, but “teaching” is still a nearly impossible task. Supposedly it gets better. I have three little Indian students, an Egyptian and Sri Lankan (both have yet to show up), and six Nigerians. I’m teaching with a Ghanaian lady named Vic who is splendid with the kids. I’m trying to learn from her patience, creativity, and exuberance.

I’m terribly excited for next week when I will start teaching the bible classes and Speech club.  Reading through the Bible curriculum (“Creation to Christ”)  and the reasoning behind it has been super thought provoking and has absolutely psyched me up. It’s purpose is to reach unbelievers (mostly those of different religions) by building a solid biblical foundation of human nature, the origin of man and sin, and God’s character before revealing the awesome hope found in Christ.  My principal, Karen, has told me some awesome stories of a few of the kids who have wrestled with the Truths revealed in this Bible class in the past, with the result of some Hindu’s, Muslims, and people of various other religions trusting in the saving grace of Jesus Christ. I am so prayerful that I will get to see some of those stories unfold this year.

Overall, I’m definitely beginning to settle in. Remembering these Nigerian names of staff and students is a challenge, but I’m starting to get those, too. I’m super thankful for early morning runs at a nearby golf course before school which has provided fantastic starts to my days and fruitful prayer time. Thank you for your continued prayer as God begins his work in my heart and hopefully the hearts of the students that I am able to share with this year. 

Also, this is the child that lives with us in the compound, with her American mother and Nigerian father. Her name is Hidasa, and she is clearly adorable. 

3 comments:

  1. Lee Anne,

    so good to read your update. Sometimes conveying the story of what you see is enough. Keep sharing!

    Praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your updates. I'm so glad they have a golf course.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BAHAHA, Lee Anne, SO FUNNY! I can just imagine. I'm afraid reading your stories is already giving me an itch for Africa, though . . . !!! I just love it - have I mentioned that I am SO GLAD you're doing this?? p.s., tell Gretchen I said hi! :-)

    ReplyDelete