Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Musings...


I wrote this post four days ago, but unfortunately, we’ve had a bout of no internet, and very sporadic electricity and even water, thus making posting quite difficult… But here you are…


As I enter my fourth week here in Ibadan, I find myself beginning to think deeply about various social, economic, and spiritual issues.  While previously, the excess of new sights and experiences had prevented such ruminations, my situation now spurs me towards new thought processes and realizations. In Isaiah ­­­­­­­­­­God promises “Behold, I am doing something new”—a thought which hold great hope for my life. I have figured that inward change was inevitable with my changing external situation in Africa.  It’s exciting to see the beginning of that movement which I hope will bring new  transformation to my spirit and mind.
Before revealing my inward musings, let me mention a few circumstantial developments and occurrences this week. My work with the preschoolers has been getting better – both in the pre-nursery class and in P.E.. We have a new 2-year-old this week—an little Indian girl names Harkiran. Her family is of the Sikh religion, which I had never heard of. Come to find out, it’s the 5th largest religion and fastest growing religion in the world. Who knew? Anyhow, the little Indians in the class seem to recognize some racial bond. On the second day that Harkiran was with us, little Jerard took a liking to her. During playtime, Jerard got in the little toy car, began “driving around” and when he saw Harkiran, he promptly put his hand to his mouth and smoothly blew her a kiss across the room. This didn’t seem to faze Harkiran, nor Merlin—whose hand he had been caught holding the day before. Talk about a player and a flirt – and at only 2 years old!!!
I’ve been sick all week with a bad cold that has pretty much stolen my voice. This has made teaching EXTREMELY difficult. Bible class, in particular, I’m afraid has suffered from my sickness.
Though management and lecturing has been less than ideal, I am thankful that I have gotten to know some of the students better this week. Names are still a struggle, but I’m determined to get them down—though there are over 100. We discussed Genesis 1 and the creation of the world this week. As I was teaching and showing clips of the magnitude and intricate design of the universe which God spoke into existence, I could not help but join my students in being awestruck by the greatness of the Creator.  Please pray that these students will come to love this Creator as they grow to understand his power and love for them.
                As for other updates, I have begun teaching piano lessons this week to three students and will start guitar lessons next week for at least one. Speech club still has only two students, but they seem enthusiastic and I’m excited to work with them, so it should be good.
                The South African compound has been a huge blessing this week. Bible Study on Wednesday was again super. I am able to lead worship for the group with Katie, which is definitely a joy. Then, on Friday, the four of us American singles (“The Crew”) went to spend the night at the compound.  We spent the evening eating a delicious meal, playing music, visiting and relaxing, slept in the super nice guest house and then arose to a fantastic breakfast, the watching of a Rugby game and more relationship  building. It was wonderful and rejuvenating.
-          -              -              -              -              -              -              -              -              -              -              -
And now for those of you interested in the inner workings of my mind, however simple or complex they may be, I will expound upon some of my recent thoughts. For the rest, please feel no obligation to read further.

First, in regards to economics. The economy here baffles me quite a bit. The I’ve seen three different types of people as far as economic status. First, there are the rich who live in luxury. These are mostly people of other nationalities (Lebanese, Indian, etc.) who have come to make bank in some specific industry. They often live in secluded compounds, and many send their children to schools such as our American Christian Academy.  Then there’s this odd group which I was introduced to last week as I walked through typical looking market street. I was told that the people here, though they lived and worked in what seemed to be filthy and wanting conditions, were EXTREMELY wealthy – sitting on loads of cash. But, I wonder, why aren’t they investing and improving their conditions? The only answer I have is that the cultural ties prevents them from breaking out of their circumstances. Lastly, there is the public at large which lives in severe poverty, struggling to get food on the table and living in dirty conditions which are quite conducive to disease and worms. OH, side not: the horror stories we heard last night about the various things that want to get inside of us and eat us were terrifying. The South Africans did well at scaring us into wearing shoes always, NEVER hanging clothes outside, and washing our hands every single second.
 But back to the economy. Newton, who lives here in the compound, tells me that he is angry when he sees the poor conditions of his county.  The target of his frustration is, as one might guess, the government. Why? Because they are doing nothing about all the trash and lack of order in the streets and markets. After inquiring more about it, I learned from Newton that the Nigerian government is quite hands off because they receive their immense funding from the oil fields which they own and contract out. While you see a few police around here, they do very, very little. There is no enforcement of taxes here (because the government doesn’t need it). So, for those of you who are die-hard fans of the Free Market (i.e. my family), please help my figure out why people don’t improve their own conditions here. If the government doesn’t interfere with the economy and the land is quite rich in natural resources, shouldn’t there be more extensive economic progress??? Does the hot climate cultural elements of close familial, tribal, and community ties (as opposed to Western individualism) present such a hindrance to improving standard of living? Now, some people claim that the problem lies in the spiritual realm – that if these people embraced Christian values, they would hop right out of their low standard of living. Indeed, many of the churches around here preach such as prosperity gospel. But this leads me to my more spiritual musings…
The circumstances that I find myself in—namely some difficulties and discomforts, semi-seclusion, and quite a bit of time on my hands-- lend themselves very nicely to reading, praying, and thinking, which is good. The current issue on my heart and mind has been spurred by George MacDonald’s “Hope of the Gospel” which Gretchen and I have been listening to in audio form. The basic gist is this, that suffering resulting from sin is an extremely significant part of redemption because it helps us realize the gravity of that which is far worse than consequences experienced – sin itself and separation from the Will of God. It’s a powerful thought which can totally reorient ones life in regards to how he relates to God and how he relates to others. Now, forgive me – these thoughts are quite raw in my mind. But, in thinking about my purpose, future,  and the suffering here in Africa, I think it may bring at least some clarity. Many may scoff at such a thought—and it is a bit radical—to think that sin itself is actually more harmful to man than the consequences that results from it. And yet, I think I may be beginning to embrace that in regards to sin, “The result is the curative of the cause.” 
                One more lesson that God is teaching me through my situation here is a lesson in love. The folks at the South African compound have really impacted me. For, their generosity and love outpoured on me this week has ZERO to do with how much they enjoy me or gain in return for their kindness. Rather, they pour out their love and acceptance because we arrived at their doorstep. Oh, how I long to be able to reflect this love which is clearly from an all-loving savior. A love that is constant and based not upon convenience or reward, but upon obedience to a God who commands love for one’s neighbors.  I have been convicted, and yet deeply hope that Christ will lead me to such a place of love.
                I had zero intention of rambling on so. Oops. I’ll be super impressed with anyone who made it through those “musings” and not at all offended for those who gave up after the first paragraph…. J  Thank you for your continued prayers as my Father’s promise to me is beginning to be seen: “Behold, I am doing something new.”  

3 comments:

  1. On your economic thoughts, do you have any idea what the state of property rights are? That is my first thought in reading about the situation you described. If there isn't a good way to own something (land, buildings, whatever), and in particular to prove that ownership so the ownership is secure, you won't get much improvement even when the resources are there. The breakdown could be a lack of titles or other legal documents (even when the family has "owned" or lived on the land for generations), a lack of identification documents (proving you are who you say you are) or a breakdown in the enforcement of such rights agaist violators (in the police or courts).

    I love your spiritual thoughts. George MacDonald blows my mind. Have you read Robert Falconer? There is a substantial section in the latter part of the book talking about how to think of and work with the poor. It really got me thinking, especially when he talked about why he wouldn't take a baby/child away from its mother even when the mother is not taking very good care of the child. And along with what you were saying, how quick (and wrong!) we are to try to save people from consequences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought of the need for "rule of law" when I read your economic thoughts.

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it could also have something to do with the difference in culture/personality/life expectations. I don't have enough experience to offer a true explanation, but I do see that there is a different approach to life in Africa. To return to an ugly history: I remember wondering whether slavery would have been the same had the roles been reversed. Sadly, this is the most blatant historical interaction between Europe/America and Africa, which is why I mention it. I won't elaborate, because my thoughts are so unclear that I'm afraid I might say something that could be interpreted as racist. :-P

    Certainly I believe that many of our economic principles hold true in Africa - but I wouldn't assume that they all do, without taking differences in culture and values into account. There's a good study for you . . .

    ReplyDelete